Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Texas Rangers: Globe Life Park (old)

The Texas Ballpark, renamed Choctaw Stadium (formerly Global Life Park), was the home field of the Texas Rangers, from 1994 until 2019. Located in Arlington, Texas, it was built in a retro style with no retractable roof. Those at the ballpark had to suffer the 100 degree Texas heat and humidity during those summer games. This became an issue for attendance (who would watch a game in such high uncomfortable temperatures), so management had to act. In 2020, Global Life Field, air-conditioned with a retractable roof, was built south of the old one and became the NEW ballpark of the Rangers in 2020.

The old stadium, that I visited in October 2015, was a beautiful park with its  brick and red granite walls. They had a hall of fame area honoring great Rangers, like Nolan Ryan, Ivan Rodriguez, and Adrian Beltre. As a baseball park, it was considered a hitter’s park, due to the high temperature, relatively short fences, and wind patterns in the park. At my afternoon game, Cole Hamels, former Phillies pitcher, started for the Rangers against the rival team, the Los Angeles Angels. Hamels pitched a three-hitter, his first complete game since being acquired at end of July. Rangers scored 9 runs; Angels scored 2. This game clinched the AL West title for the Rangers on the last day of the regular season. 


Fast forward to October 2023, the postseason is underway. The Rangers just lost to Astros in Game 3 at Global Life Field, now the 7-game series is 2-1.  Rangers and Astros are currently in the American League Championship (ALCS) series.  This series will be decided by which pitcher can keep the runs low, compared to their competitor, and which team can score more.

Texas Rangers have never won the World Series, have reached the series twice in its history, and compete in the American League West division. Deriving their name from the law enforcement agency, Texas Rangers, was established in 1961 as Washington Senators, an expansion team. In 1971, Senators moved to Texas and renamed themselves the Texas Rangers. 

I enjoyed my afternoon game in early October, probably because I chose a day in Arlington that was pleasantly 60 degrees. Weather plays a factor when I visit a park. I do not like being uncomfortable as I watch the game. I prefer night games over 1 pm starts. Also, having something to cover  my head is a smart move, which is why I added a Texas Rangers hat to my growing baseball cap collection.  

I sincerely hope Rangers claim the AL pennant, so they eliminate those pesky Houston Astros in the Battle of Texas. If the Rangers play the Phillies, my loyalty switches and lies with my National League Home team, the Phils, in a potential  2023 World Series. If both teams move on, the Phils and Rangers have good hitting lineups. Will playoff pitchers silence the bats of the opposing lineups?  You only know if you keep watching the screen or listening to it on the radio. I  love  this time of year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished my Quest: Dodgers Stadium

 Success achieved! I went to all 30 MLB parks as of 2024.  I visited Dodgers stadium (1962), the 3rd oldest behind Wrigley (1914)  and Fenwa...