Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Truist Park: Atlanta Braves baseball park




 I visited Atlanta in Sept 2022 to go to a Braves vs Phillies game at the home of the Atlanta Braves, Truist Park (originally called Suntrust Park). Name changed because of the bank merger. The Braves (4x World Series Champions - 1914, 1957, 1995, & 2021 / 18 NL pennants) are a team that is so good currently the other teams are gunning for them. They won 104 games in the regular season, considered top of the NL in offense and defense. As someone in enemy territory,    I do think the Braves have a really nice set up in Atlanta.  If you go, you need to go a bit outside downtown Atlanta (10 miles northwest of city). The only reason to go to this part of surburbia is to see a game. Truist Park was surrounded by lots of shopping places and restaurants. They have an area called The Battery Atlanta, shopping area, that was built at the same time as the ballpark.  I did visit the Braves past ballpark, Turner Field (1997-2016). This current ballpark, Truist Park, is amazing. No seats have an obstructed view by design.  I was seated in the outfield. The atmosphere was fun, and I was not hassled too much for wearing Phillies attire at the Braves park.  I did get an Atlanta Braves cap, for I wanted a souvenir of my ATL Braves trip. The Braves, the home team, won this particular game I attended, but we tend to play the Braves a lot. We will play again another day. In 2022, the Phils went on to beat the Braves in the playoffs as a wild card team.  I am hoping in 2023 history is repeated and my Phillies beat the juggernaut Braves.  Wait until October.



The ballpark has a classic ballpark feel to it and there are a lot of references to great Braves players ( eg. Hank Aaron #44). As one of the oldest teams, the Braves highlight their past accolades.  The Braves were founded in Boston, MA, in 1871 as the Boston Red Stockings, then became known as Boston Braves in 1912. The Braves are the oldest continuously operating professional sports franchise in America. This team has been based in Atlanta since 1966. I enjoyed my visit as a pure baseball exercise.  I was engulfed in so much baseball history that I could spend hours reading the signs. The pitching  staff that the Braves had in the past (eg. Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, & Tom Glavine)  and currently have, with Spencer Strider, Charlie Morton, and Bryce Elder, makes them one of the favorite teams to win the World Series year after year. The Braves did win World Series in 2021. Their batting order too is formidable with Ronald Acuna Jr. and Matt Olson. At the game I attended, I witnessed the chop where the Braves fans were chanting and doing the chopping motion in the 6th inning of the game.   I was impressed by the excitement of the Braves faithful.





Today, as of 13 Sept 2023, the Atlanta Braves clinched their 6th Division NL East title in a row.  Those Braves beat my Phillies to win the series in Philly. We will see what happens if the 2 teams meet in the playoffs.  Anything can happen in a best of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished my Quest: Dodgers Stadium

 Success achieved! I went to all 30 MLB parks as of 2024.  I visited Dodgers stadium (1962), the 3rd oldest behind Wrigley (1914)  and Fenwa...