Friday, September 29, 2023

Progressive Field: Home of Cleveland Guardians/Indians


I visited Progressive Field in August 2014.  The ballpark was renovated after my visit, so all the changes they made later I did not see.  The team was still called the Cleveland Indians, on my visit.  For the park itself,  I was not that impressed. It does have a nice view of Cleveland’s skyline. The ballpark has an area called Heritage Park, featuring 27 plaques of great Cleveland  players. It also has statues of players, like Jim Thome (who played for Phillies late in his career).


The original name of the field was Jacobs Field (first opened in 1994), so many refer to Progressive Field as “The Jake”. It was renamed in 2008. A unique feature of the ballpark are 19 vertical light towers that match the smoke stacks in Cleveland’s industrial zone (3 behind scoreboard, 6 behind first base, 6 behind third base, and 4 in right field).

Since being established in 1901, this team has won 2 World Series (1920 and 1948) and 6 American League pennants. The team’s name was changed to Guardians in 2021.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished my Quest: Dodgers Stadium

 Success achieved! I went to all 30 MLB parks as of 2024.  I visited Dodgers stadium (1962), the 3rd oldest behind Wrigley (1914)  and Fenwa...