Monday, September 18, 2023

Head to Oracle Park: Home of San Francisco Giants


 San Francisco is known for Golden Gate Bridge and baseball. I visited Oracle Park, along the San Francisco Bay, in May 2009 when the ballpark was called AT & T Park.  The ballpark was renamed Oracle Park in 2019 when Oracle Corp. purchased naming rights.  

When I went to the ballpark, this was a planned excursion before I met up with friends to explore San Francisco and Sonoma Valley for a week. I used the Muni metro to get to the game, which dropped me directly outside the park. There is a 24 ft high brick wall in the right field, erected in honor of former Giants player Willie Mays. This field has a reputation of being the most pitcher-friendly ballpark in the National League. The reason is the depth of the outfield limits home runs. Behind left field bleachers is an 80 ft tall Coca-cola bottle with slide that blows bubbles every time Giants have homerun.

What I remember about my trip to this park was the local hot chocolate, Ghirardelli.  It was a cold, rainy day, so a hot drink was needed.  I remember that Hall of Famer Randy Johnson was starting pitcher for the Rockies. This San Francisco Giants team has a proud history. The team was founded in 1883 as the New York Gothams. Team was renamed New York Giants  in 1886, eventually relocating from NYC to San Francisco in 1958.

The franchise has 8 World Series Championships (2nd most in National League and 5th most of any franchise), having played in the World Series 20 times.  I liked the view of the Bay and skyline as you watched the game. Warmed up with hot cocoa, I had a good time at the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished my Quest: Dodgers Stadium

 Success achieved! I went to all 30 MLB parks as of 2024.  I visited Dodgers stadium (1962), the 3rd oldest behind Wrigley (1914)  and Fenwa...